Currently, RFID UHF has two protocol standards to choose from. One is ISO18000-6B, and the other is the EPC C1G2 standard that has been accepted by ISO as ISO18000-6C. These two standards have their own advantages.
The standard is based on common standards, the application is mature, the product performance is relatively stable, and the data format and standards are relatively simple. The main features of the ISO18000-6B standard include: mature standards, stable products, and wide application; ID number is globally unique; first read ID number, read data area; 1024bits or 2048bits large capacity; 98Bytes or 216Bytes large user data area; The tags are read at the same time and can read up to dozens of tags at the same time; the data reading speed is 40kbps. Electronic labels conforming to the ISO18000-6B standard are mainly used in areas such as asset management. At present, the domestically developed container identification electronic label, electronic license plate label, and electronic driver's license (driver card) all use this standard chip.
According to the characteristics of ISO18000-6B standard, in terms of reading speed and number of labels, in applications where the number of labels such as bayonet and dock operations is small, the label using ISO18000-6B standard can basically meet the demand. At present, the "electronic license plate recognition system" used in China's customs logistics supervision system uses the ISO18000-6B standard electronic label.
The shortcomings of the ISO18000-6B standard are: the development stagnation in recent years, the trend of being replaced by EPC C1G2; the software curing technology of user data is not mature, but this situation can be solved by the chip manufacturer embedding user data.
ISO18000-6C (EPC C1G2) standard
The standard features: fast speed, data rate up to 40kbps ~ 640kbps; can read a large number of tags at the same time, theoretically can read more than 1000 tags; first read the EPC number, the tag ID number needs to use the read data Mode reading; strong function, with multiple write protection methods, strong security; many areas, divided into EPC area (96bits or 16Bytes, can be extended to 512bits), ID area (64bit or 8Bytes), user area (224bit or 28Bytes) ), password area (32bits or 4 Bytes), but some manufacturers provide labels without user data areas, such as Inpinj labels. The EPC C1G2 standard is mainly applied to the identification of a large number of items in the field of logistics and is in the process of continuous development.
The EPC C1G2 standard has many advantages such as high versatility, EPC compliance, low product price, and good compatibility. However, the following issues need to be considered:
1. The label products and applications of this standard are still immature. The current labels are mostly air media.
2. The user data area is small, only 28 bytes. For the container identification electronic label, if the container data defined by ISO10374 is to be written, the data area capacity is insufficient.
3. At present, almost all chips used for EPC tags are flip-chip, and there are very few chips that can be soldered. The process of pour-on film is difficult to guarantee for items that work outdoors for a long time, sports, and bumps.
4. The EPC C1G2 electronic tag is positioned on the universal tag, and the price is too low. The chip design and package design have weaker considerations for the environmental adaptability of the product. For example, the environmental applicability required for the container tag electronic tag is high. In the field of long service life and relatively professional application fields, the technology, performance and process of the chip need to be further improved.
5. The standard contains a self-destruction procedure, which requires careful consideration of the long-term flow of the container.
According to the above analysis and comparison, the ISO18000-6B standard electronic label technology and application are relatively mature. For example, it can be applied to container labels, and the productization and practical steps can be faster. For EPC C1G2, the chip technology, performance, process, etc. must be solved first. The problem needs to be strongly supported by domestic and foreign chip vendors, and the time for practical promotion is unpredictable.